One day before Christmas, I decided to make a 'snøballykt' (snowball lantern) by our entrance. This was something I used to do in my childhood, but had forgotten until I recently came across some photographs. We would ask my mother for pieces of candles that she was about to throw away, and put them inside small igloos carefully built from snowballs. What always amazed me was how the candle didn't melt the lantern. It was just incredibly beautiful and the lantern would last a long time. On Tuesday, though, I struggled. With snow that was very dry and powdery from the low temperatures, it was almost impossible to make snowballs and even harder to make them sit on top of each other. After several collapses of my nostalgic construction, I got a bucket of water, dipped the snowalls in it, and 'glued' the whole thing together. Not quite how I remembered it done, but it worked! Yesterday, the snøballykt wished our guests welcome, first to 'julegrøt' and later to dinner. And here, it wishes you too a very Merry Christmas!
Thursday, 25 December 2008
Merry Christmas!
One day before Christmas, I decided to make a 'snøballykt' (snowball lantern) by our entrance. This was something I used to do in my childhood, but had forgotten until I recently came across some photographs. We would ask my mother for pieces of candles that she was about to throw away, and put them inside small igloos carefully built from snowballs. What always amazed me was how the candle didn't melt the lantern. It was just incredibly beautiful and the lantern would last a long time. On Tuesday, though, I struggled. With snow that was very dry and powdery from the low temperatures, it was almost impossible to make snowballs and even harder to make them sit on top of each other. After several collapses of my nostalgic construction, I got a bucket of water, dipped the snowalls in it, and 'glued' the whole thing together. Not quite how I remembered it done, but it worked! Yesterday, the snøballykt wished our guests welcome, first to 'julegrøt' and later to dinner. And here, it wishes you too a very Merry Christmas!